Re: debian exim4 smarthost and relay

On Sun 24 Jan 2021 at 14:10:16 (-0500), Harry Putnam wrote:
> I hope this is the correct group for debian exim4 questions.  I'm sure
> someone will point me elsewhere if not
>
>  - Setup: New install of debian 10, in VBox vm attempting to get exim4
>    working.
>  - Internet host with no recognized or dns resolvable name, or domain
>  - Receives dhcp address, but made mostly permanent by router
>    capabilities
>
> When editing a smarthost line in udpate-exim4.conf.conf
> How does one enter a server that requires ssl 465.
>
> Is adding 465 port all that is necessary? ..like
>
>      dc_smarthost='smtp.server.com:465'
>
> I've also seen two colons used while googling on this:
>
>     dc_smarthost='smtp.server.com::465'
>
> Which if any is correct?

Two colons—dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config should tell you that, thus:

 ┌───────────────────────┤ Mail Server configuration ├───────────────────────┐
 │ Please enter the IP address or the host name of a mail server that this   │
 │ system should use as outgoing smarthost. If the smarthost only accepts    │
 │ your mail on a port different from TCP/25, append two colons and the      │
 │ port number (for example smarthost.example::587 or                        │
 │ 192.168.254.254::2525). Colons in IPv6 addresses need to be doubled.      │

> If one uses the port number in update-exim4.conf.conf is it also
> required in passwd.client?
>
>    smtp.server.com:465:user@some.domain:SECRETpw
>
> And again .. one or two colons? Or is this not required?

Not required. I presume a password applies per site rather than per port.

> My googling has also caused some confusion to me about
> editing something for smtp transport:
>
> Will it also be necessary to edit something into smtp transport
> regarding the use of ssl 465?  If so, can anyone show an example of
> how that is done?

I'm not sure what specific location you mean by smtp transport.
I've used various ports at times, 25, 465, 587, and aliases for 25,
but all made in those two files mentioned.

Cheers,
David.