Re: Raid 1

mick crane writes:

On 2021-01-23 17:11, Linux-Fan wrote:
mick crane writes:

[...]

Please note that "root on ZFS" is possible but quite complicated:
https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/Getting%20Started/Debian/Debian %20Buster%20Root%20on%20ZFS.html

For my current system I actually used mdadm RAID 1 for OS+Swap and ZFS
mirrors for the actual data. This way, I can use the Debian Installer
for installation purposes and benefit from the bit rot protection for
the acutally important data while maintaining basic redundancy for the
OS installation. YMMV.

Here are my notes on essential ZFS commands (in case they might be of help):
https://masysma.lima-city.de/37/zfs_commands_shortref.xhtml

[...]

link is not currently available.
what you seem to be doing there is backing up the data with ZFS but not backing up the OS, so I guess your raid is the backup for the OS ?
mick

Both open fine here, which of the links fails for you?

RAID is not Backup! Hence I have entirely separate programs for backup. The RAID is only the "quickest" layer -- solely responsible for catching problems with randomly failing HDDs and -- for non-OS-data -- bit rot.

My system works as follows

* OS data bitrot is not covered, but OS single HDD failure is.
  I achieve this by having OS and Swap on MDADM RAID 1
  i.e. mirrored but without ZFS.

* Actual data bitrot is covered, as is single HDD failure by
  means of ZFS mirrors for all data.

* Backups are separate. For instance, important data is copied to a
  separate computer upon shutdown. Less important data is part of
  manually-invoked backup tasks which use multiple programs to cope
  with different types of data...

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö