Re: Help me setup home-office hardware with free software

On 2021-01-22 19:31, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> writes:

On 2021-01-21 21:06, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
I am setting up one (or may be two) home-office servers. I have 6 ATI
Radian RX580 graphics cards that are lying in cold storage. I used them
a couple of years back to experiment with various crypto-mining
technologies.

Several manufacturers produced graphics cards with that name.  What is
the make and model?  Support URL?

What is the model of the PSU?  Support URL?

The ones that I have are manufactured by MSI. Radian RX 580 Gaming X
8G. Exactly this one,

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/Radeon-RX-580-GAMING-X-8G/Specification

Okay. eBay says those are trending at $300. They benchmark at about 1/3 of the current #1 card:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

I would start by putting one GPU in a PC and figuring out the software
(libraries, tools) and workflow required to do HPC/ GPU computing
using Debian.  Please let us know what you discover.

Definitely. I’ll share as I proceed. I like this approach of putting
just one card first and figuring out things.

When you do, you can look at AMD Epyc and GPU servers:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/epyc-server

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-G291-Z20-CTO-AMD-Epyc-GPU-Server-Holds-8-GPUs/264933076956?hash=item3daf3defdc:g:BTUAAOSwEUBfqrG2

The next problems will be powering and cooling it...  :->

David