Re: Raid 1

mick crane writes:

hello,
I want to tidy things up as suggested.
Have one old PC that I'll put 2 disks in and tidy everything up so what's scattered about is on the running disks and this new/old one is just backup for them. Can I assume that Debian installer in some expert mode will sort out the raid or do I need to install to one disk and then mirror it manually before invoking the raid thing ?

Debian Installer can create MDADM RAID volumes even in non-expert mode.

You need to explicitly select the right options in the installer partitioning screen i.e. create the partitions, then create MDADM RAID 1 devices on top of them and finally let them be formatted with ext4/filesystem of choice and be the installation target.

AFAIK "Guided" installation modes do not automatically create RAID, i.e. I recommend using the manual partitioning mode.

In the few RAID installs I did, it worked out all of the time.

Only thing to do afterwards is to ensure that GRUB is installed on both of the respective devices (dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc assuming BIOS mode).

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö