Re: installing debian 10 without a cd and without usb but could use ethernet

Dan Hitt composed on 2021-01-20 20:31 (UTC-0800):

> Or perhaps there's some other way to approach the problem?

I can't recall ever installation of any Debian except by the NET method. The only
things I download prior to beginning installation on a system with a working Grub
is the NET installation kernel and initrd. My most recent ones had approximately
this stanza in custom.cfg:

menuentry "Install Debian via HTTP" {
	search --no-floppy --label --set=root p03res
	linuxefi	/deb10/linux showopts vga=791 --- netcfg/get_hostname=myhost netcfg/get_domain=mydomain.net netcfg/disable_autoconfig=true netcfg/get_ipaddress=192.168.yada/24 netcfg/get_gateway=192.168.yada netcfg/get_nameservers=1.1.1.1 netcfg/confirm_static=true tasks=standard base-installer/install-recommends=false
	initrdefi	/deb10/initrd.gz
}

There may be more options there than actually needed. They're much easier to delete
at boot than to remember to add any possibly needed. Likewise I don't remember which
were actually used except the basics. I use only CAT6 ethernet except for Roku,
FireTV Stick and the like.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/