Re: Upstream Default (FOSS) DDX Driver for NVidia GPUs is not Nouveau

Sven Joachim composed on 2021-01-20 23:18 (UTC+0100):

> On 2021-01-20 16:45 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Its life as a separate package then ceased as well. It was moved into the server
>> package. I never found an announcement to the effect, but I believe this move in
>> effect made it the default DDX driver for any version of the Xorg server from
>> version 1.17.0 and up.

> Not really, the upstream Xorg server still uses a graphics card specific driver
> if available.

That was exactly one of my points. "If available" equates to they are optional,
not needed by primarily AMD, Intel and NVidia graphics devices made since
somewhere around 2010.

> On Debian, the modesetting driver is preferred for
> non-vintage Intel and NVidia GPUs by distribution-specific patches[1,2].

I was aware of this general concept and thinking about it, just forgot to actually
remember to include it before sending. IME though, availability of the
gpu-specific drivers will far more often than not mean they will be used in
preference to the Modesetting.

> 1. https://sources.debian.org/src/xorg-server/2:1.20.10-2/debian/patches/06_use-intel-only-on-pre-gen4.diff
> 2. https://sources.debian.org/src/xorg-server/2:1.20.10-2/debian/patches/07_use-modesetting-driver-by-default-on-GeForce.diff

I have multiple Intel IGPs classified as Gen 4 or newer that, contrary to what I
believe the first of those patches to mean, do not use Modesetting when Intel is
available, absent admin specifically configuring Modesetting's use.

>From what little I can make of the second patch, I think it might should apply to
3 or 4 of my NVidia GPUs (GeForce 8 & up), but that's not a result I've observed.

Since a year or so of server 1.17.0 appearance, the GPU-specific DDX drivers spend
a bare minimum of time installed on the vast majority of my PCs. Other than
AMDGPU, the others occasionally get installed only temporarily for quick testing
and then are removed.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/