Re: sharing a network connection from debian to non-debian

On 2021-01-16 10:28, Dan Hitt wrote:

Regarding Andrei's suggestion of using nm-connection-editor, ...

GUI tools can be nice when you have an idea of what they are doing "under the hood". With networking, multiple hoods are involved and many are inaccessible (notably your ISP and the Internet).

I recommend that you start by buying and reading "Networking for Systems Administrators" by Lucas:

https://mwl.io/nonfiction/networking#n4sa

David --- thanks for all the information.  The UNIfi system looks
good and is not very expensive.I would have to investigate it
carefully though, because my ancient hardware is very sensitive to
something about the electrical environment of the network (otherwise
i'd just hook it into my internet-modem-router).

Unless your hardware is broken, the most likely cause of network problems is misconfiguration. Given dozens settings or more per device, the number of combinations across even a small network grows astronomically. The most direct path to a working configuration on an X86 PC is to do a fresh install of Debian. I would remove the drives in a problem PC, install a blank drive, do fresh install of Debian 9, and see if that works.

David