Re: 'no mountable file systems' error upon attempted installation of Debian 10.7.0 amd64 dmg

On 08.01.21 22:20, absurdlapse wrote:
> Please forgive my beginner questions. I should have said that I am trying to run Debian on VirtualBox...is the USB boot necessary there?
No worries, you're welcome :) In case of using Debian in VirtualBox, you don't need to do the USB stuff, as you can use the downloaded Image in VirtualBox directly from file. No need to open it at all, just create a new Virtual Machine in Virtual Box, follow the recommended settings (e.g. choose an appropriate amount of memory and disk storage), maybe change the number of CPU cores and Video Memory in the properties of the new Virtual Machine before starting it the first time, as VirtualBox tends to choose low defaults there, and then click start :) As there is no operating system installed in the VM yet, VirtualBox will ask you to provide an installation image on it's own. Just click the folder icon in that dialog window, and navigate to your downloaded Debian image, and you're done :) VirtualBox will boot the Image, and present you with the Debian installer the same way when booting from a USB drive on real hardware.