lua-ldoc restricts lua versions and doesn't work with lua5.3

Hello,

I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 but AFAIK lua-ldoc comes from Debian.
As described in the title, it doesn't work with lua5.3. The Debian patch 0001-Use-lua-any-to-choose-the-right-interpreter-version.patch for lua-doc explicitly allows only 5.2 and 5.1.

Why is there a restriction in the first place? The commit that added the patch doesn't have a helpful message and I cannot find any relevant information.
Would just removing the line with "Lua-Versions" make sense?

Regards,
Eugene