Re: Monitor Problem???

On 2021-01-03 12:58, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
My main computer runs  Debian Buster and is displaying some unusual behavior.

The monitor is blanking, without warning, at random times, and restoring the screen  while I working. There is no warning, nor does the computer seem to be overheating (I continuously monitor the temperature).

I rather suspect that it may be a hardware problem. I keep the software up to date.

I am querying this group because I can't think of a more knowledgeable source. Any thoughts and suggestions of things that I might be able to test will be very welcome.

I suspect it is a software problem, not a hardware problem. The reason is I have been seeing the same for almost a year now with my display. I can't find anything that indicates a hardware problem and after all this time the display/monitor is still trucking on without the problem getting any worse.

I am not 100% sure, but it seems like sometimes the display is put into sleep mode and can't be woken up. Restarting X or doing a modprobe from a remote machine over ssh doesn't help. Nor does anything else. The only way to get the monitor to activate again is to reboot. After some digging I gave up on finding the root cause and accepted that I'd have to reboot once in a while. There is nothing in the logs to give any indication of a possible cause. Maybe I should have tried harder, but I just don't have the time for that at the moment.

FYI, this is the relevant hardware in my system:

MoBo = ASUS PRO WS X570-ACE
CPU = AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Graphics = ASUS AREZ-RX560-4G-EVO

Debian version is Bullseye following testing very closely.

Sorry I can't help you with this.

Grx HdV