[SOLUTION] Re: Bullseye: setting and using $DISPLAY after su -

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 22:30:34 -0600
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

>   $ /bin/su -
>   Password:
>   ahost ~# xeyes -display :0.0
>   Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>   Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>   Error: Can't open display: :0.0
>   ahost ~# ln -s ~auser/.Xauthority .Xauthority

Bingo! That, rather than copying .Xauthority, gave me a fix. Thank you.
Now to automate carrying $DISPLAY over. Probably with an alias for su:

alias su="su -w DISPLAY"

> Whitelisting with -w should do nothing for you—knowing the display's
> location doesn't authorise you to use it.

True, but that gets $DISPLAY set up for root.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/