Re: Firefox ESR is not properly rendering Google pages

On 2021-01-01 at 07:45, Bineeth C R wrote:

> Firefox ESR is not properly rendering Google pages,
>
> I've started observing this issue after switching to Debian Testing,
> recently.
>
> Please refer to the screenshot below.
>
> [image: image.png]

That's not something specific to Firefox, or to Google. Those glyphs are
what gets displayed when you don't have the correct font installed for
that Unicode code point.

Each of those blocks probably represents the name of a language, that
doesn't use Roman letters, written in that language itself.

If this only started happening recently, I'd guess either it's a
coincidence of timing (i.e., Google happens to have started displaying
those languages on its front page during the same time period), or
something different about your browser config is now telling Google that
it should display those languages there when your previous config did
not do so.

What you need to do is identify those languages, then identify the
character sets they use, then identify fonts which contain glyphs for
those character sets, then install those fonts. (And then at least
reload the page, if not outright restart the browser.)

Reco already suggested one font package (pair) to install for at least
one such language; whether that will be enough for all of the ones in
use there I don't know.

The language for a given glyph can usually be identified well enough by
searching for 'Unicode [glyph hex values]'. For example, the hex value
pair displayed in the very last glyph in that image is '0A 40'; a Google
search for 'Unicode 0a40' reveals that that glyph is from Gurmukhi.

From there, 'apt-cache search gurmukhi' finds two relevant package sets:
'fonts-guru-extra' and the 'fonts-noto-*' packages which Reco already
suggested.

If you encounter similar "missing" glyphs displayed as hex-value boxes
like that in the future, even with those font packages already present,
the same basic approach should let you get them displaying.

--
   The Wanderer