Re: SanDisk USB stick problem

On Tue 08 Dec 2020 at 12:41:48 (-0700), Fred wrote:
> On 12/8/20 8:53 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > I bought a SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB stick.  The fine print on the package
> > > says it has SecureAccess software.  It is so secure it prevents me from
> > > writing to it without running the included Bill Gates cancerous, virus
> > > infested, scourge of the Earth software.
> >
> > Yuck!

It's a bundled gift for those who don't want to bother finding a
better encryption scheme. If you'd googled their website, you'd see
that written in blue: "NOTE: SecureAccess is not required to use your
flash drive as a storage device on Mac or PC. SecureAccess is a
complimentary data encryption and password protection application."
Typically one either ignores it (for insensitive files) or overwrites
it with a better scheme.

> > > fred@ragnok:/media/usb0$ ls -l
> > > total 8416
> > > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   16384 Jul  9  2018 SanDiskSecureAccess
> > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 8600360 Nov  4  2016 SanDiskSecureAccessV3.01_win.exe
> > > fred@ragnok:/media/usb0$
> >
> > How did you mount it?
> >
> > > root@ragnok:/home/fred# chown fred /media/usb0
> > > chown: changing ownership of '/media/usb0': Operation not permitted
> > > Attempts to add write permission are also denied.

I don't see a mount command. Are you using one of these peculiar fuse
mounts that not even root has the privilege to change (or in some cases
even to see)? I can't help you there.

> > What does `dmesg` say?
> >
> > > Is there any way to disable or remove the SecureAccess software?
> >
> > Others have suggested reformatting, but maybe a more constructive path
> > forward is to return the bugger, complaining that it doesn't work.

That seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Presumably
the stick was bought for some purpose.

> I have considered returning it but it only cost $6.72 and it isn't
> worth standing in line at Walmart.  If I can't get it to work I will
> bash it with a hammer to see what is inside and buy something else
> that doesn't have SecureAccess on it.

It's working. I would reformat it. You're likely to meet the same
problem with other similar purchases.

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2399/~/sandisk-secureaccess-3.02-support-information-and-download-page

Cheers,
David.