Re: Replying

* 2020-12-05 21:33:58Z, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Dec 2020 23:08:14 +0200
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2. A Reply-To is set, either by the list[1] or by the Sender
>
> Even with one set, many ppl /still/ manage to not honour it.

My email application (Notmuch) normally honours Reply-To but there is an
exception. If Reply-To is different from the From address and points the
same address as To or Cc address then use From address instead of
Reply-To.

There is sense in this. Reply means "reply to sender". If Reply-To has
the same address as in To/Cc then the Reply-To address probably is not
sender's address. So don't honour Reply-To and use From instead. It is
also a safe behaviour: a private message meant for the sender is not
accidentally sent to other people's addresses or to a public mailing
list.

I guess we all know by now that mail user agent software don't agree
with all the different semantics of replying. Widely supported features
are "reply to sender" (Reply-To, From) and "reply to all". Debian
mailing list policy (send only to list address) is not easy for many
mail user agents. "Reply to all" would be easier but we have to manage.

--
/// Teemu Likonen - .-.. https://www.iki.fi/tlikonen/