Re: [Emc-users] buster warning

On Saturday 05 December 2020 09:18:06 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 05 December 2020 08:46:06 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I just updated my one wintel/buster install, on a D525-MW mobo in an
> > OAK box, which replaced the rt kernel with a new version of
> > 4.19.0-rt13 and when synaptic was done, issued a sudo reboot to
> > reboot to it...
> >
> > 10 minutes later it is still not pingable. I've not yet had a chance
> > to go check it physically as its up the hill in a separate building.
> >
> > But I thought you with uptodate buster installs might want to know
> > something could be wrong.
> >
> > I'll report more when I know more.
>
> When I got there and turned on the monitor, is was waiting for someone
> it knew to log in. So I logged in and checked the new linuxcnc, seemed
> to be ok. But arriving back in this chair, it has no network. CCing
> debian- user since I assume the new kernel came from there. So I'll go
> back and see whats wrong with the ifup's. More later.

Went back and rebooted it to the last 3 rt kernels, no network for -rt12.

Got normal net from -rt11, reboot back to -rt12, works, ditto -rt13
works, and the default let it time out works.

WTH. Come back to house again, ssh now works but keys are wrong, login
anyway.

reboot it from here, ping is back in around 40 secs, takes an ssh login a
few seconds later. Everything seems normal.  Go back up, kill the power
to the monitor and the lathe this machine controls, come back and reboot
it again. Works. WTH? I am glad, but I've also made a few trips up the
hill on 86 yo pins and wasted at least 2 hours doing it. And I did not
touch anything with an editor.  And while it is working, there still is
not a /dev/enp1s0 to be found except in an "ip a" output. Or
in /e/n/interfaces.  udev makes this stuff up out of whole cloth now?

Call me bumfuzzled, this does not make sense.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis