Re: swamp rat bots Q

On Friday 04 December 2020 12:39:24 Reco wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 08:39:42AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > But I asked specifically how to enable it for one bot, and I've
> > asked that question several times, getting smoke and mirror answers
> > you all assume are helpfull, but which are useless to a new user
> > installing the now 7 years old and long out of date package that in
> > effect has no "how it works" docs. I asked 3 questions in a previous
> > day or so timeline, and no one has actually attempted to actually
> > answer even one of them. Here is one line from that log: and that I
> > just blocked:
> >
> > coyote.coyote.den:80 192.99.6.226 - -
> > [04/Dec/2020:07:18:20 -0500] "GET
> > /gene/toolshed/c3/build/win32/prep/?C=S;O=D HTTP/1.1" 200 673 "-"
> > "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MJ12bot/v1.4.8; http://mj12bot.com/)"
>
> Taken directly from the link.
>
> Bot Type         Good crawler (always identifies itself)
> IP Range         Distributed, Worldwide
> Obeys Robots.txt *Yes*

Sorry, they do not, they've read it and ignored it 428 times in the life
of that log which I zeroed out around 1 July of this year. They've also
used up my upload bandwidth 37760 times in the life of that log. I have
a 10 megabit service, means 2.5 going up.  That hogging of my upload
bandwidth can only be defined as a DDOS attack. Of the 112 DROP rules I
currently have, at least 80 were generated by their activities against
my site.

> Obeys Crawl Delay Yes

What the heck is that?

> Data served at    Majestic.com
>
> I kindly suggest to all debian-user members to reflect on this, and to
> stop this pointless discussion.
>
> Reco

At this point it sounds like you are defending them, but until they read
and obey robots.txt, I will continue to block them the instant I can ID
that its them.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis