Re: Fixing a Grub Foul-up

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 at 14:53, Martin McCormick <martin.m@suddenlink.net> wrote:

>  I typed sudo grub-install /dev/sdd.  It ran for a few
> seconds, announced that grub was installed without any errors and
> exited.

> After looking at /dev/sdd1/grub and seeing no updated
> date stamps, I had a sinking feeling and looked at /dev/sda1
> which is the boot partition on the system I haven't killed yet
> and, sure enough, grub-install had run on that drive.

> $ ls -lt /boot/grub
[...]
> It didn't even touch any part of /dev/sdd1.

The bootloader on /dev/sdd would have been updated.

[...]

> What am I failing to do to make the changes occur on the
> designated drive?

Your lack of success is because the the command you used has designed
behaviour to install the grub bootloader to the boot sector of
/dev/sdd, and also install the grub files you listed into the current
system /boot/grub (which was not on sdd at the time). That is the
reason why you see those files on /dev/sda1, because it was the boot
partition at the time you ran the command.

If you want a grub-install command that writes /boot/grub files
somewhere onto /dev/sdd then you will first have to mount the desired
target boot partiton of /dev/sdd on some mountpoint that you choose,
and then run a command something like this:
  sudo grub-install
--boot-directory=/some/mountpoint/where/is/the/sdd/boot /dev/sdd