Re: SSD and HDD

On 2020-10-11 17:45 +0100, mick crane wrote:

> Bearing in mind I rarely do installs and when I do usually let the
> installer do its thing.
> Got a PC that has SSD and a HDD. I see that you are supposed to avoid
> writes to SSD for longevity.

No, you are not.  I put an SSD into my desktop computer almost four
years ago, and its "Percentage Used Endurance Indicator" is currently at
12%, so it probably will be good for another twenty years or longer.

> Is it a matter of putting entries in fstab for /swap /var /home to
> suitably formatted partitions on HDD ?
> Or is there more to  it ?

My advice would be to only use the HDD for big data files where speed is
no concern,  e.g. your music/picture/video collection and such.
Everything else can go onto the SSD.

Cheers,
       Sven