Re: How to disable the screen locker on amd64 buster?

On Sunday 04 October 2020 04:29:36 Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Sb, 03 oct 20, 10:45:13, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > I would try
> > >
> > > apt remove lightdm light-locker
> >
> > and task-xfce, the meta installer file was also selected
> >
> > > and either installing xdm or just using startx to get X11 and
> > > XFCE up when you want it.
> >
> > Which is for me, 100% of the time, so xdm installed.
> >
> > > -dsr
> >
> > did that and installed xdm, reboot is next. But apt claimed there
> > were several hundred packages (353 count) that could be autoremoved.
> >  Is that normal after an iso install and update to 10.6?
>
> It's to be expected when you remove a high level meta-package, like
> task-xfce you mentioned above.
>
> > I did the autoremove, linuxcnc still runs, so I think we are in
> > business.

Except I now have a different initial login screen that does not accept
my passwd.  It accepts and displays my username, but it loses the
keyboard once it highlights the passwd box. ssh logins from here work
just fine, but I am locked out of logging in on its own
keyboard/mouse/monitor.

How do I fix that?

Thanks.

> For the archives:
>
>   1. Inspect the list carefully, for any package you might need.
>   2. Use 'apt-mark manual <package>' for the package(s) you need.
>   3. Let 'apt autoremove' (with '--purge' if you prefer) take care of
>   the rest.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Cheers, Gene Heskett