Re: How to disable the screen locker on amd64 buster?

On Saturday 03 October 2020 11:21:04 Dan Ritter wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:

> > On Saturday 03 October 2020 08:12:56 Dan Ritter wrote:

> > > I would try

> > > apt remove lightdm light-locker

> > and task-xfce, the meta installer file was also selected

> > > and either installing xdm or just using startx to get X11 and

> > > XFCE up when you want it.

> > Which is for me, 100% of the time, so xdm installed.

> > > -dsr

> > did that and installed xdm, reboot is next. But apt claimed there

> > were several hundred packages (353 count) that could be autoremoved.

> > Is that normal after an iso install and update to 10.6? I did the

> > autoremove, linuxcnc still runs, so I think we are in business. 34

> > minutes after the reboot:

> Lots of autoremovable packages are normal. I generally keep them

> unless I have a space crunch.

I've no crunch, its a 2T drive, but killed them anyway

> > Screen Saver:

> > prefer blanking: no allow exposures: yes

> > timeout: 0 cycle: 0

> > DPMS (Energy Star):

> > Standby: 450 Suspend: 600 Off: 900

> > DPMS is Disabled

> > I believe thats what we wanted.

> Exactly so.

On inspection from its own screen, I have an odd problem.

The login I am seeing now has a huge debian logo, so I assume (there's that word again, thats from xdm.

I can type and see my username in the usename box, and pressing enter then outlnes the passwd box. But after that, the keyboard is not showing anything in the passwd box. And of course I cannot login from its own keyboard.

So how can I restore that to normal function?

Thanks.

> > The above now shows blanking off, expose on, and DPMS off after the

> > reboot and no one has yet logged in locally, looks good.

> > Thanks a bunch, Dan

> Not a problem. Thanks for stating your issue clearly.

> -dsr-

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

- Louis D. Brandeis