can't boot to a graphical interface.

While compiling an application today my Debian bullseye system somehow got messed up. It will boot to a CLI but no X, apparently because for some reason the system is unable to access some files in /usr/share/dbus-1. It keeps saying access denied. The directories and files are owned by root, and if I noot to a CLI I have no trouble accessing them using sudo and midnight commander.

I tried reinstalling systemd but it ended with the same problem.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

--
Frank McCormick