Re: apple mini

On 1/8/20 1:21 PM, Michael Stone wrote:

> If you use /dev/zero you'll be limited by the speed of the disk. If you
> use /dev/random you'll run probably under 1 megabyte per second (that
> is, probably on the order of 100 times slower; unless your night is more
> than a month long it won't be overnight on a modern disk).

Ah. I've always done one pass of dban on 500G disks (just servers -- not
a whole lot of pictures) and it didn't take too long (couple hours or
so, IIRC).

I've never tried it on the 12T blackHole.

The size of the disk in the Mini might be useful information. The Minis
I've encountered had fairly small disks.

>> In that case, dban or equivalent. Still overnight.
>
> how does running another program change anything?

dban claims to have available some serious DoD wiping algorithms.

dd doesn't claim anything but writing once.

> Verification is making sure that you actually did what you think you
> did.

Oh. Like verifying a backup. /dev/zero does make a lot more sense in
that case.

>> but a few passes from dban sure will improve security
>
> no, it won't; one pass is sufficient.

According to the dban dox, multiple passes do make a difference. I've
never understood why writing the same tracks over and over makes much
difference, though. But I've seen it in more than one place.

--
Glenn English