Re: Newcomer Problem: Synaptic

Hello Das,

On 03/01/2020 13:09, das wrote:

>> You are mixing Ubuntu with Debian here: we cannot install Ubuntu packages on Debian (and vice versa).
>> You have to choose either Debian or Ubuntu. If you want to play with ppa stuff, you must choose Ubuntu.
>> If you want to stick to Debian and install the PPA material, you may to consider to build your own Debian
>> packages from the Debian source that might be provided by PPA. This might be a fluid process or not.
>>

> Thank you Jerome for this rapid response. I have understood what you
> said, but I do not know how to solve this problem.
>
> I do know nothing about Debian or Ubuntu. For a little less than two
> decades I was using Fedora. So, please give me some practical
> suggestion.
>
> This is the content of my '/etc/apt/sources.list':
>
> <<
> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian buster main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main
> contrib non-free
>
> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates main contrib non-free

your sources.list  is sane.

Do you have any file in `/etc/apt/sources.list.d' ?

> I am getting no mention of Ubuntu here. But, still I am getting that
> error message about 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/libreoffice/ppa/ubuntu
> focal InRelease' from Synaptic. How to correct this error?

PPA stuff is foreign to Debian: at one point some ubuntu material was introduce either by you
or somewhere else (in thsi case, it is a bug).
Ubuntu is build upon Debian, and bring its own stuff and policy. It is also more oriented
to regular user. But coming from Fedora, I guess that you are familiar with UN*X.

I would forget synpatic and use the command interface tools: aptidute(1), or better apt(1)
(along sudo  or as root). I am not a fan of graphical interfaces.