Re: Webcam resolution in VLC (and elsewhere)

Hi Celejar,

To find out the capabilities of your camera, you can install v4l-utils and execute:
v4l2-ctl --list-devices
v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --list-formats
v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --list-formats-ext
Check also the other /dev/video* files.

Another method is to use qv4l2 (provided by the homonym package), which is very user-friendly and I think it uses v4l2-ctl to find information.

The above information comes from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/webcam_setup.

Cheese and vlc must not be used to find out available resolutions. On my Dell built-in webcam both show 640x480 and below, whereas my camera supports 1280x720, as given by the laptop specification and v4l2-ctl/qv4l2. As about why do these applications use this resolution, I do not have any idea.

Best regards.