Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

The Wanderer composed on 2020-12-29 07:57 (UTC-0500):

> Romualdas Taluntis wrote:

>> -try booting with your 5700 in a secondary PCI-E slot and your old
>> GPU in the main slot, check if Debian detects both video cards, force
>> certain applications to use new video card and use it like this if
>> it works.

> I... can see how that might work, but it's not an approach I'd find
> satisfying, or care to take. Thanks for suggesting it, though.

If it is a PS issue, then that would confirm it, but that assumes you have enough
6 or 8 wire power connectors for both cards.

That brings to mind another idea about PS capacity. Given you need 7 SATA ports,
you could try booting with the power connectors for all but the one you are
booting from disconnected, giving the PS some reserve capacity to use for the
5700. If it it proceeds to display Grub instead of locking up, you know where the
fault lies.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/