ALSA bug? Laptop headphone output depending on speaker channel setting

Seasonal greetings, Debian users!

I was wondering if anyone has pointers for an audio configuration issue. I have
Debian Testing running on a Dell laptop (Latitude E6320, audio chipset
detected as HDA Intel PCH, 92HD90BXX). The speaker output works fine. When I
plug in headphones, the system seems to detect that okay: it mutes the
speakers ("Speaker+LO" channel in alsamixer) and unmutes the headphones
("Headphone" channel).

The problem is that no sound comes out of my headphones.

I've noticed that I have to also unmute and restore volume of the Speaker+LO
channel to hear anything in the headphones (meanwhile, with headphones
connected, the laptop speakers are silent as you would expect). The Headphone
volume setting doesn't seem to matter at all, although muting that does also
cause the headphones to mute.

It all used to work fine, but probably a couple of years ago it started having
this behaviour. I suspect it was a kernel update, or maybe ALSA library - I
can't be certain - and put it off hoping the bug might just get fixed...

Any suggestions? I looked at the hdajackretask app,  but no idea where I would
even start there.

Thanks in advance,
Brendon