HEADSUP: systemd now defaults to cgroupsv2

Hi,

with systemd 247.2-2, the default cgroup hierarchy has been switched to unified (i.e. cgroupv2). If you want to read more about the benefits of cgroupv2 vs cgroupv1, I would suggest [1].
In Debian, all major container tools should support cgroupv2.
My special thanks go to Ryutaroh Matsumoto, who has been driving this effort [2]. I'd also like to thank Arnaud Rebillout for beeing very cooperative and preparing the new docker 20.x upload.

Please test the new setup and report any issues you find (file them againt the systemd package, we will re-assign/user-tag accordingly).
You can (temporarily) switch back to the old setup by adding

systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=false

to the kernel command line, should that be necessary.

Regards,
Michael

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/cgroup-v2.html#issues-with-v1-and-rationales-for-v2 [2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=pkg-systemd-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org;tag=cgroupv2