Re: Future of X, fvwm and wayland

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 06:32:20PM +0100, Kamil Jońca wrote:
> It seems, that main graphical UI base will be Wayland instead of X
> Window.
> If I understand correctly Wayland has no separate window  manager
> process.

I think this is incorrect.  There's still a window manager.  You just
don't get many to choose from.

> As an user of FVWM (desktop box) and xfce (laptop) I feel little lost.
> In particular it is not clear to me if it will be possible to use FVWM /
> xfce on top (X)Wayland?
> Will be possible to use emacsclient with ssh X tunneling?

See <https://wiki.debian.org/Wayland#Supported_environments>
and <https://wiki.debian.org/Wayland#FAQ>.

I don't know how up to date that wiki page is, so if there are any
Wayland experts out there, we'd love to hear from you.

As an fvwm user myself, I have absolutely no plans to move to Wayland
at this time.