Re: Select which system to boot while rebooting

On Thu 10 Dec 2020 at 13:47:28 (+0300), Reco wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 01:46:18PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 11:12:37AM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > > On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 12:00:20PM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > It seems so (note version 2.02+... at man page's footer). Since it's
> > > short and sweet, I take the liberty to include its man page here, as
> > > a special broadcast service :-)
> > >
> > > ========================================================================
> > > GRUB-SET-DEFAULT(8)   System Administration Utilities   GRUB-SET-DEFAULT(8)
> >
> > Please note that it's required to supply GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
> > option before using grub-set-default, Debian supports it, but does not
> > use it by default.
> > Things get really weird with grub-set-default unless you use
> > GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true.
>
> A correction - GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true should be put into
> /etc/default/grub.

I've been using grub-set-default and grub-reboot with submenus
ever since shutdown stopped supporting -F (which was the
up-until-wheezy way of forcing a full fsck, and whose mechanism
I never really thought about).

What sort of weirdness happens? Is the problem with writing
/boot/grub/grubenv (where the strings reside), or with Grub's
reading and parsing it? I've not had any problems myself.

Cheers,
David.