Re: chromecast: no audio when casting screen, works with tab

El mié., 16 dic. 2020 23:16, Andrea Borgia <andrea@borgia.bo.it> escribió:

Hi.

System in running "Testing", using KDE, I'm trying to get Chromium to send audio via Chromecast as well as video.

After enabling the relevant flag[1], I've tried casting a single tab and playing a video. It worked well, with audio coming from TV.

Stopped the transmission, switched source to desktop and restarted: video is shown, audio remains from computer.

Additionally, using Chrome directly (ughs, I know...) I get the same results.

On the other hand, with the office laptop using Windows, both Chromium (nightly) and Chrome can share full desktop with audio.

In short: casting from Linux can only send audio from single tab. This is of course a problem for applications without native Chromecast support, especially with my own laptop having very weak speakers.

Has anyone more recent information[2]? Pointers to hard evidence confirming it won't work are also welcome.

It is a known issue , see

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/27045993?hl=en

Maybe somebody know how usé ffmpg to send desktop without lag to Chromecast (my quick test (from the first result on Google/duckeuckgo) was not ok)?

A hipotetical solution would be record Desktop with ffmpeg, use sometype of proxy to play the recording on a localhost http URL which could be played from chromium and then send the tab to chromecast

Regards