Re: Preseeding Postfix for No configuration

On Wed 16 Dec 2020 at 19:00:29 (+0100), Erik wrote:
> On 16-12-2020 18:24, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > Erik wrote:
> > > I am doing an unattended install of Debian Buster with postfix being
> > > added using apt-install in the preseed/late_command.
> > >
> > > Without a postfix preseed definition in my preeseed file, I get the expected
> > > question about what kind of mail configuration I would like.
> > > When I select "No configuration", installation continues as expected and I
> > > end up with a postfix installation without main.cf and without master.cf.
> > >
> > > But when I preseed postfix with "d-i postfix/main_mailer_type select No
> > > configuration"
> > > as both debconf-get-selections and
> > > https://preseed.debian.net/debian-preseed/buster/amd64-main-full.txt
> > > confirm I should do, I get an extra question asking me about the system mail
> > > name.
> > > Clearly, this question is out of place for a "No configuration" install.
> > > And as a result I end up with a main.cf and a master.cf, which contradicts
> > > the "No configuration".
> > >
> > > So something is going wrong. Apparently the preseeded selection for
> > > configuration type is accepted, as that question is not asked, but it
> > > is not interpreted as "No configuration".
> > If you don't want any configuration, you must be supplying
> > configuration later on -- so why don't you refrain from
> > installing postfix via the preseed, and install it later when
> > you are ready to configure it?
>
> Because the configuration is preseeded as well. The installl is
> entirely unattended
> and the apt-install is supposed to only install Postfix itself. After
> that, the configuration
> will be added automatically too.
>
> Of course I can overwrite the files that get installed, but that's not
> the point here.
> The point is that there is a bug somewhere that makes the installer do
> the wrong
> thing when the same answer as given manually, is given via preseeding.
> The same answer should not lead to different results.

I'm not a pre-seeder, so I don't know how much gets logged to VC4 and
/var/log/installer/syslog (its final resting place), but you could
compare the logs from the two runs. And, taking care with the jumping
timezones, the log can also be tied in with file creation/modification
times.

Cheers,
David.