Re: Migrating LVM volumes to a new machine

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 06:53:59PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 11:46:46PM +0000, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> > I feel
> > like I can't follow the instructions in the HOWTO because it wants me to
> > unmount the file systems, export the LVs and so on, on the old machine
> > before moving the disk, and I don't see how I can do that on a system
> > that is expecting to use those file systems to operate.
>
> you must have missed:
> "vgexport/vgimport is not necessary to move drives from one system to
> another. It is an administrative policy tool to prevent access to volumes in
> the time it takes to move them."

Yeah... didn't miss that, but thought "that can't mean what it appears
to mean, because if it did the whole article would be contracticting
itself". So I guess "failed to understand" would be closer to the truth
than "missed".

> Just move the disk and the lvm stuff will show up like normal. The only
> potential gotcha is if you used the same volume group names on both systems,
> then that would need to be resolved (by renaming one of them)

Oh. Good. Thanks! Yes I had considered that different VG names would be
needed. I just let the installer do its thing with the naming last time,
guess when I install this time on the new machine I will intervene.

That generates a followup question, out of curiosity. Presumably for
that to work, all the info needed for the computer to learn about the VG
at boot must be stored on the PV. What happens when there is more than
one PV for a VG? Is the info stored on all of them, or just one?

Thanks

Mark