Re: swamp rat bots Q

On Fri, 2020-12-04 at 14:51 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 04 December 2020 12:39:24 Reco wrote:
>
> >       Hi.
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 08:39:42AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > But I asked specifically how to enable it for one bot, and I've
> > > asked that question several times, getting smoke and mirror answers
> > > you all assume are helpfull, but which are useless to a new user
> > > installing the now 7 years old and long out of date package that in
> > > effect has no "how it works" docs. I asked 3 questions in a previous
> > > day or so timeline, and no one has actually attempted to actually
> > > answer even one of them. Here is one line from that log: and that I
> > > just blocked:
> > >
> > > coyote.coyote.den:80 192.99.6.226 - -
> > > [04/Dec/2020:07:18:20 -0500] "GET
> > > /gene/toolshed/c3/build/win32/prep/?C=S;O=D HTTP/1.1" 200 673 "-"
> > > "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MJ12bot/v1.4.8; http://mj12bot.com/)"
> >
> > Taken directly from the link.
> >
> > Bot Type         Good crawler (always identifies itself)
> > IP Range         Distributed, Worldwide
> > Obeys Robots.txt *Yes*
>
> Sorry, they do not, they've read it and ignored it 428 times in the life
> of that log which I zeroed out around 1 July of this year.

Why would they read it if they we're going to just ignore it, perhaps
your robots.txt is broken? Hint, it is, in 2 or 3 different ways I can
see (if it's http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/robots.txt we're talking
about). That file doesn't have any syntactically correct entry in there
for blocking that bot.

I don't know why you seem set on blaming malice on part of a bot whose
front web page has sections like:

   How can I block MJ12bot?
   How can I slow down MJ12bot?
   What commands in robots.txt does MJ12bot support?
   Why did my robots.txt block not work on MJ12bot?

The URL for that page is in the user-agent string from the log snippet
you posted above.

--
Tixy