Kernel problem

After a recent kernel update, my previously very stable laptop developed major problems. After a period usually of about 12 hours (once after only 2 hours, once after about 36), the machine froze, requiring a hard power cycle. At no time did desktop indicators (Mate and Xfce) show CPU hogging or memory shortage. Two more kernel updates did not resolve this problem. There were frequent flickers of the display. I suspected that the keyboard had become more sluggish, occasionally missing keystrokes altogether.

On last starting the machine, I booted using the earliest installed kernel 5.7.0-3 (5.7.17-1). The first thing I noticed was that the keyboard was properly responsive again. It has now been running for over 27 hours with not so much as a missed keystroke. The display has been rock solid again.

What change in 5.9 (perhaps 5.8) may be caused the machine to freeze, and can it be fixed?