Re: NTFS partitions can't be mounted

Kanito 73 writes:

Hello

Al the previous issues I published are now solved. Relative to the RTL8821CE, I searched for a module rtl8821ce.ko but the generated module was just 8821ce.ko so when I loaded the only RTL* (rtl8821ae.ko) the right 8821ce.ko was already loaded and I thought it was the rtl8821ae activating my wifi. [SOLVED]

Now I have another BIG problem.  I installed both Windows10 (version OCTOBER 2020) and Debian 10.0.6 in dual boot and left a large NTFS partition for data on the primary disk (HDD) and the whole secondary disk (SDD) also as a unique NTFS partition.

Which parts went onto the SSD and which onto the HDD in the end?
Which of the two systems do you intend to use more often?
Which of the two systems will run computation-intensive (CPU, RAM, GPU) applications?

Well, I installed Windows, then Installed Linux and tested the NTFS partitions from Linux (Debian) mounting and copying some files successfully.

[...]

So I think that Windows 10 locks the partitions or something weird is going on.

If not solved I will clear the entire disks and install only Debian and run Windoze on VirtualBox, I don't want since there are some games that I want to play on native Windows but if it does not work will have to remove it from the computer. CHKDSK.EXE reports no errors when I run it on such partitions.

[...]

Damn Windows it is making me cry blood but I need it for some games and programs...

[...]

See https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2020/11/msg00574.html

The Wanderer's post contains a more elaborate explanation of the immediate issue you are most likely facing: Windows going into suspend-to-disk rather than actual shutdown.

A possibility to bypass the fastboot/rapid startup technology is to use suitable arguments to the Windows `shutdown` command. It used to be possible to bypass it by doing a right-click on the Windows logo in the lower left and then choose "Shutdown" from that menu but I am not sure if this still works.

I'd still very much recommend running one of the two systems inside a virtual machine rather than physically despite the fact that the immediate issue with the rapid startup may be solved.

What about running virtual Linux under a Windows host? This would retain the gaming performance while at the same time solve the issues wrt. the file system. Of course, if you want to use your full RAM for Linux, this approach will not work. From my experience it is already difficult to run a 8 GiB Linux VM on a 16 GiB Windows machine (tested with Windows 10, Debian 10 and Microsoft Hyper-V).

HTH
Linux-fan

öö