Re: Problem with /var/mail file > 2GB with pop3

On 11/19/20 11:47 PM, Ulf Volmer wrote:
On 19.11.20 22:42, Flo wrote:

I am using Debian Buster, Thunderbird, Sendmail and popa3d to get emails.

The mail files for each account are stored at /var/mail. No it has come
to that point that such a file exceeded 2GB. And 'Get Messages' doesn't
work anymore.

This limit is defined in the source of popa3d.

Thank you, that was a good hint.

ulf@deb10-p330:~/popa3d$ grep -r "#define MAX_MAILBOX_OPEN_BYTES" *
debian/README.Debian:#define MAX_MAILBOX_OPEN_BYTES          200000000
popa3d-1.0.3/params.h:#define MAX_MAILBOX_OPEN_BYTES           2147483647

I guess you have to recompile the package to change this.
But please consult README.Debian before.

Or (in my opinion the better solution) swicth to dovecot.

I installed dovecot but it didn't really work. Actually only with one specific account, the one which produces this big mbox file. And I couldn't figure out the reason.

So I recompiled popa3d and it seems to work now.

Thanks a lot.
Flo

Best regards
Ulf