Re: Installing Debian 10 from flash drive [NO network]

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 07:43:02AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I've copied (using dd) the .iso of Debian 10's DVD1 to a USB flash drive.
>
> I have no problem doing a normal install.
> The problem occurs when attempting to install additional packages.
>
> I receive a message to insert the appropriate DVD.
> There is *NO* DVD drive.
>
> I've see instructions for appropriately mounting the flash drive.
> They are now lost due to a disk crash.
> How is it done?
> TIA

This has the potential to come up again and again :) If you _only_ install
from a DVD and have no network, then the medium is left as the only source in
/etc/apt/sources.list - the first cdrom line is still there because you have
nothing else.

[I only discovered this doing the last run of CD testing when Steve M.
happened to tell me why :) ]

You could:

Put the DVD .iso file on disk, loopback mount it and use apt-cdrom

You could download subsequent DVDs and do the same.

Or you can mount the DVD as someone else has suggested and do it that way.
Given no network on the final machine, I'd be most tempted to use a nearby
mirror and jigdo to make the 16G Jigdo image, dd that onto a stick and
use that.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy C.