Re: Is there such a thing as a Debian blend for a MacBook Air 1,1 and/or Mac boxes in general? ...

Le jeudi 5 novembre 2020 à 12:00:06 UTC+1, Albretch Mueller a écrit :
> > "ip l" (for "ip link") lists the network links the kernel is aware of.
> $ ip l
> 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
> mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1
> link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
>
> $ sudo iwconfig
> lo no wireless extensions.
> > And to keep it simple, does your desktop (Gnome, the desktop environment by default in Debian?) show you an icon with wireless networks?
> I use the KDE version of Debian. I will let you know what I got from
> your suggestions
>
> thanks

Hello Albretch,

It seems the only network interface Debian is aware of is the loopback one (lo).
The appropriate firmware is not loaded so your physical wireless interface (same for ethernet interface if your Mac computer has one) is not recognized.

"journalctl | grep -i firmware" should confirm your firmware is not loaded.
After installing the firmware, it needs to be loaded (modprobe b43 will load the driver and the firmware)

I did not realize immediately but you are testing a Debian live DVD, aren't you?
If it is the case, I wonder if you can install the firmware the usual way because /lib/firmware is probably read only.
If I recall correctly, the standard Debian live mediums have no persistant memory and are read only (it is probably possible to create such a medium with a persistant memory, explore the Debian live docs if you are interested).
I may be wrong but you then have no trivial way to test Debian with your integrated wireless card.
Perhaps this link ( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Firmware ) could give you clues about installing a firmware from a custom location with udev rules (I do not know)

Previous advices were valid only for an installation of Debian, not the use of a live.Debian medium