Re: working with mp3 files

On Thu, 2020-10-29 at 11:42 +0000, mick crane wrote:
> hello,
> I am totally clueless about audio files.
> Have for example librivox recordings of "1984" split into a dozen
> files.
> Would like to combine them together into one file with
> ffmpeg join_together "files" some_options) out_file
> presumably each file has meta data that I only need once ?
> Anybody point to a book or resource for a numpty to discover how it
> works?
>
> mick

Hi,

mpgjoin actually has a quite readable manpage. In case of mp3 all you
need is

 mpgjoin -o JOINT_FILE_NAME -j FILE1 FILE2 (...) FILEN

I wouldn't worry about the metadata, you can create new ones with mp3tag
or graphically with EasyTag or similar.
Alernatively -if you don't want to hear "This is a Librivox
recording..." over and over, maybe- you migh just open the MP3s with
audacity, align them in extra tracks, cut what you don't want and export
the whole thing as tagged MP3.

Greetings,
tom