Re: working with mp3 files

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 11:42:35 +0000
mick crane <mick.crane@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello,
> I am totally clueless about audio files.
> Have for example librivox recordings of "1984" split into a dozen files.
> Would like to combine them together into one file with
> ffmpeg join_together "files" some_options) out_file
> presumably each file has meta data that I only need once ?
> Anybody point to a book or resource for a numpty to discover how it
> works?

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate

I concatenate mp4 video files (produced by my smartphone video
recording app, which starts a new file every 4GB) by putting them
(making sure they are named sequentially, e.g. "1.mp4", "2.mp4", etc.)
into an otherwise empty directory and running the following command
(taken from the above page):

ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i <(for f in ./*.mp4; do echo "file '$PWD/$f'"; done) -c copy output.mp4

Celejar