Re: Mounting a USB device

On 10/27/20, Mick Ab <recoverymail123890@gmail.com> wrote:
> If a filesystem in /etc/fstab has a noauto entry, can that filesystem only
> be mounted manually using the mount command or
> is there any chance that it will be automatically mounted by
> usbmount ?
>
> The filesystem is used in a USB port.

Is there a "sub" anything on that filesystem that would be... sorry,
words are failing.. that would be quietly "sub-mounted"? I've had a
partition be mounted when a directory was "mount -B" mounted
*somehow*, but I can't come up with a scenario. I looked at past
/etc/fstab entries (still saved as comments), but they're not
triggering any related memories.

It has only happened once that I noticed. A full partition was mounted
to my great shock. At some point not long after, I realized that a
directory within that partition was some form of "mount --bind". I
just figured that was surely how it happened because the partition had
to be mounted first to reach that directory.

Yes, I know. Everything I look at for my usage case, it shouldn't have
happened backwards. The directory mount should have failed and exited
as e.g. "can't find" the way mount did just now.

Thought it was a handy shortcut then forgot about it. It was kind of
like using "-p" flag when manually "mkdir" creating embedded
parent-child directories.

But, again, am now not able to duplicate where it had happened for me.
ONCE (that I know of).

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey