Re: Running HGST's DFT utility from a flash drive

On 22 Oct 2020 13:25:43 GMT
Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

> On 2020-10-20, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm tearing my hair out trying to get HGST's Drive Fitness Test utility
> > to run:
> >
> > https://www1.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
> >
> > HGST provides an ISO meant for burning to CD, and an IMG meant for
> > burning to floppy disk. I don't have writable CDs or a floppy drive, so
> > I'm trying to get the software to run off a USB flash drive. I've tried
> > so many different things and wasted so much time, but have still not
> > succeeded:
>
> I booted it thusly
>
>  qemu-system-x86_64 -boot d -cdrom dft32_v416_b00.iso -m 512
>

> and was presented with the following screen:
>
>  PC DOS 7.0 Startup Menu
>
>    1. SCSI and ATA suppport
>    2. ATA support only
>
>  Enter choice:

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I need to get it running on bare metal in
order for it to have low level hardware access to the drives. It can't
hurt to check, though - if you enter '2', let's say, and proceed, will
the utility find and scan the system's disks?

Celejar