Re: Rsync / rsnapshot via NFS

basti (12020-10-22):
> I try to backup my imap folder (140 GB in 1 000 000 files).
> I use rsnapshot on a mounted nfs share.
>
> The initial sync transfer in 1 hour only 2 GB.
> Iotop on the destination show 512kb/s.
>
> Network between source and destination is 1 GBit.
>
> Is the a way to speedup rsync?

Yes: do not use it over NFS, use it over SSH.

rsync has a clever algorithm to transfer only the parts of a file that
changed. But for that, it needs fast access to both the source and
destination file, i.e. it needs to run locally on both hosts.

Apart from that, these rates are very low. I suggest you test them with
simpler tasks: reading a big file, writing a big file, reading many
small files, writing many small files. A tarball to or from a tmpfs
should allow to test only the NFS part.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George