Re: kernel security upgrade - "rebase?"

On Ma, 20 oct 20, 10:44:17, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 05:10:33 AM Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Lu, 19 oct 20, 20:21:45, The Wanderer wrote:
> > > To install that package and let the upgrade go forward, you have a few
> > > options. The simplest, and the one I go with myself, would be to run
> > >
> > > $ apt-get dist-upgrade
> >
> > I disagree, the simplest and arguably slightly safer is
> >
> >     apt upgrade
>
> I agree, for an additional reason -- iiuc, if you are using an older version
> of Debian, dist-upgrade will attempt to upgrade to the current version, which
> could cause problems.

Actually you will just end up with a partially upgraded system, which
may be worse.

Your best course of action at that point is likely to follow-up with
dist-upgrade to switch completely to the next release.

This two-step distribution upgrade is actually a documented work around
for some issues on upgrades to the next release.

https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#minimal-upgrade

Kind regards,
Andrei