Re: Riddling activity on encrypted and mounted partition

Hello,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 10:24:44AM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> i have encrypted my HDD's (*) data partition. Now the disk access LED is
> blinking rapidly as soon as i mount it.

Could it possibly be the lazy init feature of ext4, which is enabled
by default and can sometimes result in several minutes of background
writes to a newly-created fs?

    https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=bfff68738f1cb5c93dab1114634cea02aae9e7ba
    https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Ext4_Filesystem#Lazy_Initialization

Create with:

    mkfs.ext4 -E lazy_itable_init=0,lazy_journal_init=0 …

to avoid this sort of thing.

Cheers,
Andy