Re: OOM-killer not being involked under memory pressure

Pariksheet Nanda writes:

> I just checked my other server which has ZFS on root without encryption,
and see that I did not enable swap at all on that machine. So I'll disable
swap, thrash the RAM with`stress`, and then hopefully the OOM-killer works
like it does on that machine.

Yay!  Indeed disabling swap allowed the OOM-killer to work.

Pariksheet

Hello,

glad you could solve the problem and thanks for sharing the solution.

I am planning on using ZFS, too, so would you mind a follow-up question
about your setup: Is your swap on a ZFS volume?

I have heard there are bugs with Swap-on-ZFS which may cause lockups similar
to what you describe:

https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/342
https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/7734

Thanks in advance