Re: Mail transfer agent

On Thu 24 Sep 2020 at 13:35:17 (+0000), mike.junk.46@att.net wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 09:14:42 PM CDT, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
>  mutt is an MUA, not an MTA.
>
> What tasks do you want your mail server to perform? Please be
> specific. We will have better advice for you once we know
> exactly what you want to have happen.
> -dsr-
> Thanks, Dan,All I need from an MTA is:
> 1) take mail from fetchmail and put it in a mailbox for mutt to display,

I thought that's what fetchmail did, and what mutt can do,
the difference being that fetchmail would put them onto your
system while you slept, whereas mutt would fetch them on demand.

> 2) take mail from mutt and send it to my ISP via smtp

I covered that in my previous post.

> 3) take messages from the system, eg: cron and deliver them to that same mailbox

dma might be enough for doing that.

> 4) take a simple message on the CL such as:    echo 'blah' | mail -s 'oops' noone@example.com

I use mailx (in mailutils), but mutt can also do it.

> I've been using exim for years and it works well but is overkill for my needs.

Size or complexity? The size of the binary is comparable with mutt.
Granted, there's more documentation, but one barely need touch it
for the above.

Cheers,
David.