Re: Sound (Alsa/PulseAudio) not working for ONE USER ONLY (addidional info)

On 9/23/20 10:02 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I am currently running Stretch, with alsa and pulseaudio.

This box has three users.  My wife and daughter both get sound through Firefox, as well as 'play filename.mp3'.  Neither method works for my login.  When using 'aplay filename.mp3' all users get static.

Some background:

A few months back, my /home partition was accidentally wiped. (It was mounted where I did not think it was.  No backups.  My bad. New external drive for backups, now.)  Data recovery managed to get back my wife's and daughter's directories, but not mine. My guess is that there were configuration files that I no longer have under my login that are necessary for sound.

An interesting note:  I just tried playing a file (play filename.mp3) while displaying the PulseAudio Volume Meter.  It says that sound is playing.  Then I noticed that it is showing volume for the 'Loopback Analog Stero'.  I did the same thing under my wife's and daughter's login and the sound was going to the 'Built-in Audio Analog Stereo'

How do I tell Alsa/PulseAudio to use the Built-in sound device, and not the loopback device?

Marc

I can change the fallback to the Built-in sound device using pavucontrol, but then, when I try to play an mp3 file, 'play' just locks up.  It displays the file data, and the line that shows its location in the file, but that line never changes.  Even Ctrl-C does not exit the program.  I have to close, and restart, LXTerminal.

Marc