Re: ssh session times out annoyingly fast, why?

Britton Kerin <britton.kerin@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using ssh from a debian box to a rasberry pi (sorta debian also :).
>
> For some reason ssh sessions seem to time out pretty quickly.  I've
> tried setting ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax and also
> ServerAliveInterval  and ServerAliveCountMax, but it doesn't seem to
> make any difference.  Is there some other setting somewhere that
> affects this?

Well, the keepalives themselves can cause a disconnect if the keepalive
messages are not reaching the other end due to bad connection for
example. Looks like by default in Debian client sends keepalives if
server is quiet but server doesn't send keepalives to a client.

You could try mosh instead of ssh. Or enable some debug printouts with
ssh -v (or -vv or -vvv for max messages) to see if that tells you why
the connection dropped.