Re: Why does Debian not include POSIX-specified commands like bc and ed by default?

12 sept. 2020 09:06:19 Lone Learner <learnerlone@gmail.com>:

> Why does Debian not include these [posix] commands by default?

I guess many debian users don't care about these commands, so it would be rude to impose something wanted by only a part of the users.  And there's the case of tiny embedded scarce systems too. If posix compliance is needed, these packages (and maybe others) can be easily installed, though an additional POSIXLY_CORRECT global setting would need to be done also. Maybe we could decide to create a package called "posix" that woult depend on all of them, if really needed and someone cares to spend time on that. But if you need to use software that need e.g. bc, the package certainly already depends on bc anyway.

Best regards
Fabrice